March 15, 2023
If you have ever had a toothache, you know that dental pain can be severe. It is important to know what to do in order to get the care you need as quickly as possible. Read on for a helpful guide on what to do if you find yourself in need of emergency orthodontic care.
There are a few different situations that would warrant immediate orthodontic attention. If you have sustained an injury to your mouth or teeth, this is considered an emergency. This includes chipped or cracked teeth, sharp pain, loose brackets or sharp wires from your braces, or anything else that has caused damage to your mouth. If you experience any type of facial swelling, this is also considered an emergency and you should seek medical attention immediately.
If you find yourself in the middle of an orthodontic emergency, the first thing you should do is remain calm. Once you have taken a deep breath and assessed the situation, follow these steps:
- If there is bleeding, apply pressure to the area with a clean cloth or gauze pad.
- If there is swelling, apply ice to the area for 10-15 minutes at a time.
- If there is pain, take over-the-counter pain medication as needed.
- If you have lost a filling or crown, try to find the piece and bring it with you when you seek dental care. In the meantime, use a temporary material to fill the empty space.
- If you have chipped a tooth, save any pieces of the tooth that you can find and rinse your mouth out with warm water.
- If your braces are causing discomfort, use wax or silicone putty to cover any sharp ends sticking out.
- If you are in pain, contact our office. For those who need assistance after hours, contact 585-248-5100. If you’re unable to reach anyone, please contact the office the following morning or go to the nearest emergency room.
If you have any questions about what constitutes an orthodontic emergency or what steps you should take, be sure to contact us right away. At Get It Straight Orthodontics, we’re happy to help. We have locations in Greece, Pittsford, and Macedon, and can be reached by calling 585-248-5100 or filling out our short contact form.